Universal Design for Learning and the Brain
Examine the diagram below. Study the functions of the various parts of the brain.
Regions of the Brain
Examine the diagram below. Study the areas of the brain related to the “Why”, “What”, and “How” of learning.
Continue by reviewing the material about the parts of the brain at http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/nervous_system_disorders/anatomy_of_the_brain_85,P00773/
The second diagram comes from the CAST website. Study the diagram.
Think about how the 3 principles of Universal Design for Learning are related to
activation of each of the 3 areas of the brain identified in the diagram.
The 3 principles are:
The second diagram comes from the CAST website. Study the diagram.
Think about how the 3 principles of Universal Design for Learning are related to
activation of each of the 3 areas of the brain identified in the diagram.
The 3 principles are:
- Multiple Means of Representation
- Multiple Means of Action and Expression, and
- Multiple Means of Engagement.
- Explain how the definitions of the regions of the brain in the first diagram relate to the 3 regions of the brain in the second.
The regions of the brain from the first diagram relate to the regions presented in the second diagram
because it shows what parts of the brain is activated during certain phases of the learning process. Not
all regions of the brain are activated during the 3 phases of learning. For example, in the Why phase of
learning, the frontal, parietal and a small portion of the occipital lobe are activated, but the frontal lobe is
completely excluded in the What phase.
because it shows what parts of the brain is activated during certain phases of the learning process. Not
all regions of the brain are activated during the 3 phases of learning. For example, in the Why phase of
learning, the frontal, parietal and a small portion of the occipital lobe are activated, but the frontal lobe is
completely excluded in the What phase.
Given the information in the two diagrams above, explain the 3 Principles of Universal Design (Multiple means of Representation, Multiple Means of Action and Expression and Multiple Means of Engagement) in terms of how they relate to brain function.
The multiple means of representation piece relates most directly to the What phase of learning, which means that the parietal, occipital and the temporal lobe. Those three lobes are responsible for controlling hearing, sight, learning, touch, and language. The multiple means of action and expression piece most relates to the How phase of learning, which involves the frontal lobe. The frontal lobe controls thinking, memory, behavior, and movement. The multiple means of engagement piece relates most to the Why of learning, which involves the frontal, temporal and parietal lobe. The regions are responsible for hearing, learning, feelings, thinking, memory, behavior, movement, language, and touch.
How does this help you understand the 3 principles of UDL)? Given this information, how you might structure each principle in the classroom?
It helps me understand how UDL works a lot by demonstrating how the inclusion of all three principles
can activate the whole brain. In order for the learning to truly sink in, involving all parts of the brain
seems essential. I think in regards to structuring each principle into my classroom, I will do my best to
present my lessons in a variety of way as to incorporate the first principle. With the assignments I
create, I will try to allow for multiple ways for students to complete them. By incorporating multiple
means of representations and expression, I feel that the final principle will naturally be incorporated.
can activate the whole brain. In order for the learning to truly sink in, involving all parts of the brain
seems essential. I think in regards to structuring each principle into my classroom, I will do my best to
present my lessons in a variety of way as to incorporate the first principle. With the assignments I
create, I will try to allow for multiple ways for students to complete them. By incorporating multiple
means of representations and expression, I feel that the final principle will naturally be incorporated.
Extend your thinking. Recall what you have learned about the similarities and differences among children from ITL404 or ITL604. Explain 2 ways UDL can be an effective means for addressing the learning needs of both typical and atypical students.
I think that UDL can absolutely be an effective strategy for reaching students who span a wide range
of needs. Whether an English language learner, special needs or beyond, by incorporating multiple
representations, it allows for finding the best means of representation that best serves the student
population in a teachers classroom. Additionally, by allowing for multiple forms of expression, it helps
the students show their knowledge in the way that works best for them.
of needs. Whether an English language learner, special needs or beyond, by incorporating multiple
representations, it allows for finding the best means of representation that best serves the student
population in a teachers classroom. Additionally, by allowing for multiple forms of expression, it helps
the students show their knowledge in the way that works best for them.
How easy or difficult do you think it will be to effectively implement the principles of UDL in your own classroom? Why do you think so; provide rationales?
I feel that in the beginning, it will be challenging to effectively implement principles of UDL in my
classroom. I think it will take a while for it to be seamless and effective, but I think that the important
part is to try and continue to refine with each attempt. Finding effective multiple representations that
actually will reach the student population I think would be the hardest piece. It might seem like the
forms of representation chosen would work, but later come to find that it actually was less than helpful.
classroom. I think it will take a while for it to be seamless and effective, but I think that the important
part is to try and continue to refine with each attempt. Finding effective multiple representations that
actually will reach the student population I think would be the hardest piece. It might seem like the
forms of representation chosen would work, but later come to find that it actually was less than helpful.
Comments
Post a Comment